After I finished the chapter deadline for the publisher I had some free time in the weekend. I spent some of it in making rbSFML compatible with the high performing Ruby implementation Rubinius. Sweet! Sure it required me to do a pull request to the Rubinius repository and do some fixes for them but it is now fully supported.
So if you want to do parallel tasks with rbSFML that should now be fully supported as well since Rubinius doesn’t have a GIL so using native threads there is actually worth it.
I’ve encountered a minor problem with it on Arch Linux. Somehow Rubinius gets it to crash inside Nvidia’s library libGL when the opengl context is being destroyed and I don’t understand why. But well I’ll track it down and fix it as soon as I get time. But it is still usable since the crash happens only when you are exiting the application and as it is destroying the last window created.