There’s some modifications to GWF and one addition. It’s not much but it’s still something and needed. I did not really make the fixes for the Framework. They just rather came to be, as I was working on TacDom I noticed some tiny faults and that it was not doing exactly what I wanted. So I fixed them and continued. Later I remembered that I need to add in the fixes to the core of GWF since even though they are tiny, they can be really irritating.
Found a bug in the Form class while playing around with Ajax.
The action was set to ‘post’ and a bug occurred here in file lib/support/form.rb:
if action.is_a?(Link) && (method == 'POST' || method == 'get') # This was supposed to be 'post' action = action.link elsif action.is_a?(Link) && (method == 'GET' || method == 'get') self << HiddenField.new('view', action.view) unless action.view.blank? self << HiddenField.new('action', action.action) unless action.action.blank? action.params.each do |key, value| self << HiddenField.new(key, value) end action = action.page end
Anyway it has been fixed now and an update has been placed in the download page.
Groogy Web Framework finally got everything it needs to make a great site! Ajax, Premade classes for easy and objective website developing. Here’s a taste of an example page that will generate some text in a paragraph and
make one piece of the text fade away when you click on it:
I also deleted all the previous versions since they are from now obsolete.
Oh well, since the web framework is version 1.0, I’ll go back to work with Tactical Domination which will of course be using GWF. Don’t think I’m finished with the framework. I’ll add things as I see things missing while developing TacDom.
The new version can be found here.
I found out that I had forgotten to add comments on all the classes. So I added them and also while doing it found small faults that I also corrected. I did also find a big bug that I still don’t know how to correct. DropDownList can’t properly set that this list item is the one that has been chosen.
I hope the problem will be solved as soon as possible.
For now I’ve disabled it so by default a drop down list won’t try to read from the parameters.
I might have to do an entire remake of the DropDownList class.
Anyway it’s available for download here.
Alright, finally the support classes are done. They are supposed to make developing the websites easier and faster. Though it will probably make the framework to run some milliseconds slower since instead of working with the buffer directly you insert a middle-hand and work with objects. But if you are just starting out they are a very good way to learn or if you don’t need to be picky about the server resources. Creating a link pointing to the current page is as simple as writing this:
Support::Link.new('Current Page') # When put into the buffer the object will turn into: # <a href="/page">Current Page</a>
Alright, I’m almost done with the Support Classes. So far I’ve done the base for it and a bit more. There is a class supposed to represent Text(<span>) and Paragraphs(<p>). Paragraphs is capable of taking an object of standard ruby type String or the Support class Text as content.
There is also a Security Module that so far can escape a string for any HTML. It can also escape a SQL string so that no one tries to do a SQL-Injection. (more…)
I just added Views to the framework and so far I haven’t found any bugs with the new addition to GWF. So now it’s version 0.7 for the framework. I know I was supposed to start with Support Classes but I thought this was a little bit more important since this is a part of the structure off the framework.
Views are Ruby modules that are loaded in to the page trough the request parameter view(@request.params[‘view’]). There comes a template view with version 0.7 so that you can see a little bit how it works. Here’s some examples on some requests and what will happen. (more…)
Well what is Groogy Web Framework(GWF for short)? Well as the name says, it’s a framework for the web. It’s a project that I, Groogy, started with when I noticed that Ruby On Rails was taking up 97% of my servers CPU-capacity. And at the time I was developing a game and that wasn’t good news for me. So I decided to make my own Framework. I had some problem naming it but went with the easiest, Groogy Web Framework. My fantasy equals zero when it comes to names.
The GWF is still in Alpha as I’m writing this and I’m still adding basic stuff. I just recently added database-based sessions to the framework and is still not completed. Though by the time your reading this. Everything is probably already fixed and is probably at an Beta version.
Anyway I got to say, this framework is supposed to be light-weight but it won’t make the website for you. I didn’t make this project for others to use in the beginning. I just like the idea of sharing my source code. So I added that on to later. The base of the framework is that everything is saved in a buffer before sent to the client browser. This buffer is stored in Ruby standard-types so it is easy to modify the output from almost any part in the program.
You can actually make a whole website without writing HTML. Anyway, let’s get on with it.